It was made by the Locomobile Company of America, which made automobiles under that brand name from 1899 to 1929. In the floating graving type dock, there are three separate pontoons each bolted to the continuous sidewalls on either side.
Its biggest success was in steam-powered traction and portable engines for agricultural and haulage economic boom created by the massive Walker Works project of expanding and modernizing the Royal Naval Dockyard, hundreds of West Indians from many Caribbean islands arrived in Bermuda by sea. The dock was referred to officially as Admiralty Floating Dock No. AFD1 is a floating graving type floating dock designed by Clark & Standfield for the British Admiralty and built by C. Self docking was accomplished by unbolting the centre pontoon and sinking the dock allowing the centre pontoon to rise up.
Her armament (after reconstruction in 1883) consisted of a 10ft armored ram, 2 x 12 inch guns, 2 x 6 inch guns, 8 x 3 in quick-firers. The Boer War Cemetery in Bermuda was built by Boer prisoners.
Unfortunately for the local civilian population, HM ships and the British Army garrison, the POWs brought with them an outbreak of enteric fever.1901. The New York Times reported that "the Boer prisoners of war confined on Darrell's Island make almost nightly attempts to avoid the patrolling gunboats Medina and Medway and to gain the mainland by swimming.
On the night of February 10, 1903, the Madiana was en route from New York to the West Indies with passengers and general cargo. For some years, the Madiana was above water, which enabled her to be stripped of anything of value. Famed American painter Winslow Homer wrote to his New York dealers to inform them he was sending "three Bermuda drawings that should attract attention as it was about the time all Bermuda hotels close for the season and the people return to New York."1903. Professor Edward Laurens Mark, with Charles Bristol of New York University, two of the founding fathers of the Bermuda Biological Station for Research (BBSR), arrived in Bermuda to look for a site for the BBSR. When ordered from the Laird shipyard in England in 1862, she was rumored, falsely, to have been built as an Egyptian ironclad turret warship.